Friday, January 29, 2010

Teenage Paparazzo

Last night was the Los Angeles premiere of the documentary film, "Teenage Paparazzo" directed by Adrian Grenier. Ryan worked on this film for what seemed like a year and a half, (which is a long time to work on any film!) His credits are Camera Operator and Producer's Assistant, but Ryan was the Go-To guy. Hired on the spot by Robin, Grenier's Assistant, indicated that Ryan would be on a rollercoaster ride. Ryan was relieved to hear that the film had been finished. I have to admit, he was worried. "Teenage Paparazzo" went to Sundance 2010 and was a buzz film. Everyone KNEW about "Teenage Paparazzo". All the screenings at the festival were sold out! If this film is picked up, this will mean good things for Ryan's resume. :)

Coming into the premiere screening theatre was surreal. I could tell Ryan was nervous. Apparently other people were as well. I was walking to the restroom and a guy collapsed and fell head first into the wall right as I had passed him! He had fainted, and it scared me to death.

The theatre was fairly large, and there were papers on all the seats, and then a small general seating section in the front. I find it funny that in theatre, everyone wants the front, but in film, everyone wants the back. haha. Ryan didn't know where the crew for the film was supposed to sit, but we didn't see his name anywhere so we sat in the front "general seating" section. Adrian introduced the film, there were some technical difficulties (oops), but then the film started. It was awesome sitting next to Ryan and seeing how jazzed he was about it. He would recite lines that people had said, and squeeze my arm when there were shots that HE had shot in the movie, and Ryan had some cameos in it as well!

After the film, Adrian invited everyone he could think of that were a part of the film up with him to the front. I guess there was seating for "Teenage Paparazzo" in the back afterall. All of the familiar faces walked to the front of the stage. Adrian didn't know that Ryan was there, so he didn't include him. But, Gabi and a few others saw Ryan and urged him to come up, but it was in the middle of the Q&A, so Ryan chose not to. After the uncomfortable Q&A, Ryan introduced me to Adrian and Jim the editor for the first time. Said hi to Matthew Cooke, the producer and of course producer Lynda Pribyl, Ryan's immediate boss. Lots of sponsors attended the screening and some foreign sales agents. Really cool.

This is the awesome poster for the film:
This is at the Q&A. One cool thing about being in the front is good pictures!! This is Austin, the teenage paparazzo. At the time, when the film was shot, Austin was 13. Pictured here he is 16. And of course director and star of TV's Entourage, Adrian Grenier. Meeting Austin was interesting. Ryan's not too fond of him. A memorable moment from shooting the film was when Austin asked Ryan to chase after Avril Lavigne in the company Lexus. Ryan said no, and Austin cussed him out. The scene made some of the early cuts, but was taken out of the final cut. Austin brought it up. "Remember Ryan when I cussed you out?" Must have been hilarious. I wanted to see that!

This is Jim (don't know his last name), editor (left). Matthew Cooke, producer (middle). David Seraffin (camera operator and all around tech guy), and Robin, director's assistant (right):
This is Robin, producer Lynda Pribyl and Gabi, Matthew Cooke's assistant (right):
I felt awkward taking out my camera at the premiere because the content of the film was about paparazzi. The film is about taking pictures of people without asking! Ryan said that Austin would make fun of my camera if he saw it and I was proud of it! I just got it! I didn't want that to happen! I saw the poster and how cool it would be to take a picture for Ryan with Adrian and the poster of course. Adrian was talking to some women and I tried to butt in before he left the building and I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he would take a picture with the poster. He didn't say anything and just right away got in the picture. I found that so odd, but then Ryan reminded me that Adrian is used to taking pictures ALL the time! He was a nice guy, but not overly friendly I guess. Also pictured: Jim and David.

I took this picture and was mad at myself for the flash. So I took another:

This one was a little more unexpected. Although I like the lighting better, Ryan loved the first picture because the flash reminds him of the paparazzi. Now I love the first picture because it encompasses the film!
This was my paparazzi moment of the evening. I snuck around a booth and took this photo of Adrian signing posters for the sponsors.
We went to a bar at the Kyoto Hotel in Downtown LA after the premiere with the crew.

Lynda wants to work with Ryan again. She kept saying that - so sweet. But Ryan needs steady work, Lynda!!
All in all, what an interesting fun evening. Ryan's world is so Hollywood some times.
Until next time,
Court

5 comments:

  1. I love your world.
    You tell everything so complete and so well. reading this, I felt as though I was actually right there next to you.
    You so effortlessly compliment your man. He is one lucky guy to have you.
    Until your next post,

    Jay Gatsby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jay Gatsby,

    No. I am lucky to have Ryan. :)

    Keep checking Jay, my world has many colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this post court! I read and savored every drop. you are so funny, and this was incredibly interesting. thanks for taking me along the journey of the premiere. sounds like you both had a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you Courtney!! Glad you're enjoying your new camera! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss you too Erin! :) Glad to see you're on here!

    And thanks Megan! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete